Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring is in the Fast Moving, Bug Infested Air

So, spring is here.

I like spring, I really do. Sleeping with the window open, sitting on the balcony with a cup-o-joe, short sleeves. There are a couple of things of which I am not a fan, however.

One, the wind. I don't know if it's just this part of Texas or what, but it seems to me that when spring rolls around the wind is never ending. And I mean strong, knock you over kind of wind. Not a breeze. It drives me absolutely nuts!

Two, wasps and bees. I've always known that I loathe spiders, but these flying beasts are slowing creeping their way onto my phobia list. They show up everywhere this time of year. I have discovered that have ninja-like reflexes when confronted with a wasp or bee (or pretty much anything that flies anywhere near me, for that matter). I have no doubt that if anyone were to see me ducking and flapping my arms about, they would get a nice chuckle, but I completely freak out. A wasp showed up on my balcony earlier tonight and I almost ran straight through my screen door. How on earth would I have explained THAT to the apartment manager? Instead, I ran inside (after opening the screen, mind you) and grabbed the closest spray I could find. For a very brief moment I thought about finding a flammable spray and match to remedy the situation, but thought that burning down my balcony might be even harder to explain than a Shane-shaped hole in the screen door, so instead I grabbed glass cleaner. I'm not too sure if the chemical make-up of Windex is lethal to a wasp, but I didn't care. I sprayed the hell out of the wasp. The weight of the liquid was apparently too much for his vicious little wings and he fell to the ground where he met the business end of my flip-flop. Problem solved...for now.

Maybe I should invest in some bug spray...and possibly a spine.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

i concur. bug spray is a must.

The Durham's said...

I just realized that you have updated!! Where have I been.....oh yeah, I forgot...I was probably delivering a child! I try to do that about every other weekend! HA!! Your love of nature just blows me away:) Keep the "deep thoughts" coming...I greatly enjoy them:) Love you!